Sunday 25 September 2011

Girona

Last week I had a unique opportunity work with great people, applied mathematicians, from University of Girona. Sometimes our conversations weren't easy because it was pretty difficult to understand and get used to terms like: different universes, polynomial time approximation, algorithm complexity or algorithm approximation ratio. Kullback-Leiber distance (which is in fact not a true distance :)) or Shannon's entropy aren't too intuitive terms either, but I have to say that once you start to understand the basics you realize the power of  Information Theory ! Amazing!

Anyway, the time spent in Girona made me realize a couple of things:
  • everyone here calls me with my name and apparently they all know it: (H)Ola :-)
  • you can wear short sleeve shirts, shorts and flip-flops and still sweat in the end of September in Europe,
  • people look at you, they very often smile to you and say (h)ola even if they do not know you,
  • people say: 'please', 'thank you' and 'I am sorry' much more frequently than in Norway,
  • Spanish language is beautiful! So it Catalan...
  • Catalan food is great!!! I miss Mediterrainian cuisine so much!!!
I can clearly see now that our 'exodus' to the South will continue, sooner or later, further than to Denmark!

Girona - a town full of history:






30C, clear sky and perfect sunshine - Autumn?

Camera obscura in the museum of cinema in Girona. This museum is a MUST SEE in Girona, not only for people interested in photography!

Great business idea! Very long opening hours :-)

Assassin Creed live :D

I like that:

Actually, for whatever reason, Lufthansa also calls me per Prof. :-) I do not mind... :p but will rather focus on getting closer to my PhD degree....




.


No comments:

Post a Comment